The final character of the Fighter Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has been announced and there was much anticipation as to which character would be the final fighter. In the days leading up to it, many fans expected Dante from Devil May Cry, but that’s not who it was.
So, who is the final character for the Fighter Pass?
Fighter Pass Character #5
The fifth and final character of the first Fighter Pass is none other than Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Three Houses has easily become one of the most popular games on the Switch, continuing to solidify Fire Emblem as one of the dominant franchises of this generation. Byleth will also be the seventh rep from the game series to be featured as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
The character is looking to be in the same vein as the other Fire Emblem characters; Byleth will wield various weaponry and fight in a similar style. Where Byleth differs so far includes:
- Byleth uses multiple weapons: a sword, a lance, an axe, and a bow for various moves. Some of these weapons have different characteristics than the default sword, and these will allow for Byleth to deal with a variety of situations rather than always having to use one tool.
- Byleth’s movement is slower than most of the other Fire Emblem reps, moving about as quickly as Robin.
- Precision is key for certain weapons. For example, Byleth’s lance is quite strong but only at the tip where the blade is; hitting with the handle of the weapon is significantly weaker.
- Byleth has a lot of power in their special moves, but they are a touch slow, meaning they should be used sparingly and only when you’re certain they will hit: getting countered will lead to a world of hurt.
- Byleth joins Robin as one of the projectile-using Fire Emblem characters. Byleth has a bow that allows them to shoot arrows, and the arrow can be charged for huge damage and knockback.
Byleth comes with a new Fire Emblem: Three Houses stage as well, which will feature several locations from the game where characters can fight.
You can check out the reveal trailer for Byleth below!
On top of this, additional Mii costumes are being added, including outfits from series such as Assassin’s Creed, MegaMan Battle Network, and Cuphead.
Byleth will be released soon after further adjustments are made, with a release date of January 28th, 2020. Fighters Pass #2 is also available starting the same date.